This code contains the requirements for fabricating and erecting welded steel structures. When this code is stipulated in contract documents, conformance with all provisions of the code shall be required, except for those provisions that the Engineer (see 1.4.1) or contract documents specifically modifies or exempts.
The following is a summary of the code clauses:
1. General Requirements. This clause contains basic information on the scope and limitations of the code, key definitions, and the major responsibilities of the parties involved with steel fabrication
2. Design of Welded Connections. This clause contains requirements for the design of welded connections composed of tubular, or nontubular, product form members.
3. Prequalification. This clause contains the requirements for exempting a WPS (Welding Procedure Specification) from the WPS qualification requirements of this code.
4. Qualification. This clause contains the requirements for WPS qualification and the qualification tests required to be passed by all welding personnel (welders, welding operators, and tack welders) to perform welding in accordance with this code.
5. Fabrication. This clause contains general fabrication and erection requirements applicable to welded steel structures governed by this code, including the requirements for base metals, welding consumables, welding technique, welded details, material preparation and assembly, workmanship, weld repair, and other requirements.
6. Inspection. This clause contains criteria for the qualifications and responsibilities of inspectors, acceptance criteria for production welds, and standard procedures for performing visual inspection and NDT (nondestructive testing).
7. Stud Welding. This clause contains the requirement for the welding of studs to structural steel.
8. Strengthening and Repair of Existing Structures. This clause contains basic information pertinent to the welded modification or repair of existing steel structures.