CTA-709.2 Revision A, June 1, 2000
Control Network Power Line (PL) Channel Specification
Includes all amendments and changes through Reaffirmation Notice , 2012
Published By:Consumer Technology Association (Formerly CEA) (CTA)
This specification contains all the information necessary to facilitate the exchange of data and control information over the power line medium within a home. The document is divided into five sections (1 - 5):
1. An introduction to the specification.
2. A general description of the power line network that is likely to exist in home environments.
3. The specifications of the allowed topology and configuration rules for constructing EIA-709.2 compliant networks in homes.
4. A specification of the EIA-709.2 physical medium. This section covers frequency allocation, physical and electrical specification of the medium, connectors, environmental requirements, and installation considerations.
5. The physical layer specification of an EIA-709.2 compliant node. This section covers the interface to the higher ISO layers, control channel signal characteristics, encoding, transmitter and receiver and signal coupling characteristics.
The EIA-709.2 specification establishes a minimal set of rules for compliance. It does not rule out extended services to be provided, given that the rules are adhered to within the system. It is the intention of the standard to permit extended services (defined by users) to coexist.
Certain aspects of the standard are defined in other documents. These documents are referenced where relevant. In the case where a referenced standard conflicts with this document, this document will prevail.