This International Standard deals with the safety of electric appliances for use with aquariums and garden ponds for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
NOTE 101 Examples of appliances within the scope of this standard are
– aquarium heaters;
– automatic food dispensers;
– sludge-suction appliances.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but that nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops and in light industry and farms, are within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
– the use of appliances by young children or infirm persons without supervision;
– playing with the appliance by young children.
NOTE 102 Attention is drawn to the fact that
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
– in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
NOTE 103 This standard does not apply to
– pumps (IEC 60335-2-41);
– other portable immersion heaters (IEC 60335-2-74);
– luminaires for aquariums and garden ponds (IEC 60598-2-18);
– appliances intended for outdoor use having a rated power input exceeding 100 W;
– appliances intended exclusively for professional use;
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).