This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
This International Standard deals with the safety of electric
insect killers for household and similar purposes,
their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but that
nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as
appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light
industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common
hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons
in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into
– persons (including children) whose
• physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
• lack of experience and knowledge
prevents them from using the appliance safely without
supervision or instruction;
– children playing with the appliance.
NOTE 101 Attention is drawn to the fact that
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board
ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
– in many countries additional requirements are specified by the
national health authorities, the national authorities responsible
for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
NOTE 102 This standard does not apply to
– appliances that function by emitting vaporized chemicals;
– appliances emitting ultrasonic waves;
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special
conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or
explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).
NOTE 103 For appliances provided with discharge lamps or
tungsten filament lamps, IEC 60598-1 also applies as far as is