This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
This International Standard deals with the safety of electric whirlpool baths for indoor use and whirlpool spas, for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances.
This standard also applies to appliances for circulating air or water in conventional baths.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but that nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in hotels, fitness centres and similar places, are within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
– the use of appliances by young children or infirm persons without supervision;
– playing with the appliance by young children.
NOTE 101 Attention is drawn to the fact that
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
– in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national water supply authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
NOTE 102 This standard does not apply to
– equipment for water circulation in swimming and motion exercise pools;
– cleaning appliances for swimming pools;
– appliances intended for medical purposes;
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).