This International Standard specifies classification rules for soft ferrite materials used in inductive components (inductors and transformers) fulfilling the requirements of the electronic industries.
This standard addresses the following purposes for ferrite suppliers and users:
- cross-reference between materials from multiple suppliers;
- assistance to customers in understanding the published technical data in catalogues when comparing multiple suppliers;
- guidance to customers in selecting the most applicable material for each application;
- setting of nomenclature for IEC standards relating to ferrite;
- establishing uniform benchmarks for suppliers for performance in new development of materials.
The numerical values given in this standard are typical values of parameters (properties) of the related materials. Direct translation from the material specification into the core specification is not always easy or possible.
Every detailed material and core specification should be agreed upon between the user and the manufacturer.