ITU-T G.671 2012 Edition, February 1, 2012
Transmission characteristics of optical components and subsystems
Published By:International Telecommunications Union -Telecommunication Standardization Sector (ITU-T)
The object of this Recommendation is to identify the transmission-related parameters for each of the components listed below and define the values of such parameters specifiable for each of the most relevant system applications. Where applicable, IEC definitions will be used. Applicable systems are anticipated to be covered by the following ITU-T Recommendations:
• Long-haul terrestrial networks: networks using equipment with interfaces according to [ITU-T G.957], and Recommendations of optical interfaces for single channel and multichannel systems with optical amplifiers including [ITU-T G.691], [ITU-T G.692] and [ITU-T G.959.1].
• Access networks: networks using equipment according to [ITU-T G.982] and the ITU-T Recommendation of optical access networks to support services greater than the ISDN primary bit-rate (when published).
This Recommendation covers optical components used in the optical networks described in the Recommendations above. Where possible, common parameter values will be defined across all applications but, where necessary, specific values to each of the application groups may be given.
This Recommendation covers the transmission characteristics in the various operating conditions of the following optical components (listed in alphabetical order):
• optical add/drop multiplexer (OADM) subsystem;
• asymmetric branching component;
• optical attenuator;
• optical branching component (wavelength non-selective);
• optical connector;
• delay line interferometer;
• dynamic channel equalizer (DCE);
• optical filter;
• optical isolator;
• passive (chromatic) dispersion compensator;
• single optical channel passive (chromatic) dispersion compensator;
• optical splice;
• optical switch;
• optical termination;
• tuneable (chromatic) dispersion compensator;
• tuneable filter;
• optical wavelength multiplexer (MUX)/demultiplexer (DMUX);
– coarse WDM device;
– dense WDM device;
– wide WDM device.
This Recommendation does not cover:
• Installation aspects, service conditions and environmental and mechanical characteristics not affecting the optical transmission path of the various optical components.
• Specific details of test methods. According to an agreement with IEC TC 86 and its subcommittees, the guidelines to be followed for the measurement of most of the parameters defined in clause 5 are given in the IEC 61300-3 series of transmission and geometric test methods. The tables in clause 5 indicate the recommended test methods, collecting the test parameters into homogeneous groups and quoting for each group the relevant IEC basic specification number(s).