NFPA 122 2015 Edition, January 1, 2015
Standard for Fire Prevention and Control in Metal/Nonmetal Mining and Metal Mineral Processing Facilities
Additional Comments: EFFECTIVE DATE: 12/01/2014
Published By:National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
This standard covers minimum requirements for safeguarding life and property against fire and related hazards associated with metal and nonmetal underground and surface mining and metal mineral processing plants.
As applies to underground mining, this standard shall cover only the following:
(1) Diesel-powered equipment
(2) Storage and handling of flammable and combustible liquids
As applies to underground mining, this standard shall not cover flammable and combustible liquids produced in underground mines, such as shale oil mines.
As applies to surface mining, this standard shall cover only the following:
(1) Mobile equipment in use without its own motive power train and normally moved by self-propelled equipment
(2) Self-propelled equipment that contains a motive power train as an integral part of the unit and is not rail-mounted
This standard shall not cover buildings or employee housing and support facilities for a mining operation, or preparation or use of explosives.
As applies to metal mineral processing, this standard shall cover fire and related hazards associated with metal mineral processing plants—whether underground or on the surface — including but not limited to conveying, crushing, fine milling, beneficiation, flotation, hydro-metallurgical solvent extraction, drying, filtering, ore and concentrate storage, and support facilities for the mineral processing activity.
As applies to surface metal mineral processing plants, this standard shall not cover the following:
(1) Solvent extraction plants
(2) Pressure-leaching processes
(3) Alumina refineries
(4) Nonmetal mineral processing plants
(5) Metal smelters including roasting, sintering, and calcining
(6) Metal refineries such as electrowinning or electrorefining processes
(7) Gas, liquid, or solid waste handling or storage systems
Nothing in this standard is intended to prohibit the use of new methods or devices, provided sufficient technical data are submitted to the authority having jurisdiction to demonstrate that the new method or device is equivalent in quality, effectiveness, durability, and safety to that specified by this standard.
Purpose. This standard shall be intended for use by those charged with fire prevention and fire protection or with responsibility for purchasing, designing, installing, testing, inspecting, approving, listing, operating, or maintaining the following:
(1) Facilities and equipment for the storage and handling of flammable and combustible liquids within underground metal and nonmetal mines
(2) Diesel-powered equipment in underground metal and nonmetal mines, mobile and self-propelled surface mining equipment in metal and nonmetal mines, and metal mineral processing plant