a. To issue mandatory procedures for Department of the Navy (DON) implementation of references (a), (b), (c), and (d) for major and non-major defense acquisition programs and major and non-major information technology (IT) acquisition programs. This instruction is a complete revision and should be reviewed in its entirety.
b. Summary of major changes in this revision:
(1) Changed the names of the initial pre-systems acquisition decision point, phase, and the initial systems acquisition phase per reference (b).
(2) Revised the format of the instruction to a Navy manual-type instruction with multiple chapters.
(3) Added Joint Capabilities Integration and Development System (JCIDS) regulatory requirement for a sustainment key performance parameter (KPP) which consists of three key factors: availability, reliability, and ownership cost. The sustainment KPP (availability) and two mandatory supporting key systems attributes (KSAs) (materiel reliability and ownership cost) will be developed for all acquisition category (ACAT) I programs. For ACAT II and below programs, the sponsor will determine the applicability of the KPP.
(4) Revised the statutory and regulatory requirements of the instruction to be in compliance with current statutes and regulations including Public Law 111-23 of 22 May 2009.
(5) Added the requirement for independent management reviews (peer reviews) of supplies and services contracts.
(6) Added the statutory requirement for program management agreements.
(7) Added the requirement for post-preliminary design review assessments and post-critical design review assessments.
(8) Clarified earned value management (EVM) dollar threshold applicability.
(9) Updated references and hyperlinks.
(10) Updated DON requirements and acquisition Two-Pass and Six-Gate Process.
(11) Added requirement for programs to assess the long-term technical data needs of their systems and to reflect that assessment in a data management strategy per reference (b).
(12) Added the DON Urgent Needs Process.
(13) Added the Rapid Development and Deployment Process.
(14) Added the IT Contract and Procurement Management Approval Process.
(15) Added Navy implementation of JCIDS "IT Box."
Applicability and Precedence
a. The provisions of this instruction apply to all DON organizations and to all ACAT acquisition programs, including naval intelligence and naval cryptologic ACAT programs, abbreviated acquisition programs (AAPs), non-acquisition programs, and rapid deployment capability programs. The designation ACAT I, when used in this instruction, signifies both ACAT ID (defense) and IC (component) programs. Similarly, the designation ACAT IA (major automated information system), when used in this instruction, signifies both ACAT IAM (defense major automated information system) and IAC (component major automated information system) programs.
b. References (a), (b), (c), (d), this instruction, and revisions thereto, take precedence over any issuances conflicting with them, except for policy, direction, or guidance embodied in current and future statute, the Federal Acquisition Regulation, the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement, and the Navy-Marine Corps Acquisition Regulation Supplement.