a. To issue mandatory procedures for Department of the Navy
(DON) implementation of references (a), (b), (c), and (d) for major
and non-major defense acquisition programs and major and non-major
information technology (IT) acquisition programs. This instruction
is a complete revision and should be reviewed in its entirety.
b. Summary of major changes in this revision:
(1) Changed the names of the initial pre-systems acquisition
decision point, phase, and the initial systems acquisition phase
per reference (b).
(2) Revised the format of the instruction to a Navy manual-type
instruction with multiple chapters.
(3) Added Joint Capabilities Integration and Development System
(JCIDS) regulatory requirement for a sustainment key performance
parameter (KPP) which consists of three key factors: availability,
reliability, and ownership cost. The sustainment KPP (availability)
and two mandatory supporting key systems attributes (KSAs)
(materiel reliability and ownership cost) will be developed for all
acquisition category (ACAT) I programs. For ACAT II and below
programs, the sponsor will determine the applicability of the
(4) Revised the statutory and regulatory requirements of the
instruction to be in compliance with current statutes and
regulations including Public Law 111-23 of 22 May 2009.
(5) Added the requirement for independent management reviews
(peer reviews) of supplies and services contracts.
(6) Added the statutory requirement for program management
(7) Added the requirement for post-preliminary design review
assessments and post-critical design review assessments.
(8) Clarified earned value management (EVM) dollar threshold
(9) Updated references and hyperlinks.
(10) Updated DON requirements and acquisition Two-Pass and
(11) Added requirement for programs to assess the long-term
technical data needs of their systems and to reflect that
assessment in a data management strategy per reference (b).
(12) Added the DON Urgent Needs Process.
(13) Added the Rapid Development and Deployment Process.
(14) Added the IT Contract and Procurement Management Approval
(15) Added Navy implementation of JCIDS "IT Box."
Applicability and Precedence
a. The provisions of this instruction apply to all DON
organizations and to all ACAT acquisition programs, including naval
intelligence and naval cryptologic ACAT programs, abbreviated
acquisition programs (AAPs), non-acquisition programs, and rapid
deployment capability programs. The designation ACAT I, when used
in this instruction, signifies both ACAT ID (defense) and IC
(component) programs. Similarly, the designation ACAT IA (major
automated information system), when used in this instruction,
signifies both ACAT IAM (defense major automated information
system) and IAC (component major automated information system)
b. References (a), (b), (c), (d), this instruction, and
revisions thereto, take precedence over any issuances conflicting
with them, except for policy, direction, or guidance embodied in
current and future statute, the Federal Acquisition Regulation, the
Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement, and the
Navy-Marine Corps Acquisition Regulation Supplement.