IEC 62151 1st Edition, May 1, 2000
Safety of Equipment Electrically Connected to a Telecommunication Network
Includes all amendments and changes through Corrigendum , June 2001
Additional Comments: BILINGUAL
Published By:International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)
Equipment covered by this standard
This International Standard is applicable to equipment designed and intended to be connected directly to a TELECOMMUNICATION NETWORK, regardless of the source of power.
It is intended for the enhancement of product safety standards so as to cover hazards associated only with connection of equipment to a TELECOMMUNICATION NETWORK.
This standard covers safety requirements and compliance criteria under three headings:
a) Protection of SERVICE PERSONNEL working on the TELECOMMUNICATION NETWORK and other USERS of the TELECOMMUNICATION NETWORK, from hazardous conditions on the TELECOMMUNICATION NETWORK resulting from the connection of the equipment;
b) protection of equipment USERS and equipment SERVICE PERSONNEL from voltages on the TELECOMMUNICATION NETWORK;
c) protection of the telecommunication wiring system from overheating.
It is assumed that adequate measures according to ITU-T Recommendation K.11 have been taken to reduce the likelihood that the overvoltages presented to the equipment exceed 1,5 kV peak. In installations where overvoltages presented to the equipment may exceed 1,5 kV peak, additional measures such as surge suppression may be necessary.
Requirements additional to those specified in this standard may be necessary for:
- equipment intended for operation in special environments, for example, extremes of temperature; excessive dust, moisture, or vibration; flammable gases; and corrosive or explosive atmospheres;
- electromedical applications with physical connections to the patient.
This standard does not apply to:
- protection of equipment USERS and equipment SERVICE PERSONNEL from hazards arising in the equipment. The USER and equipment SERVICE PERSONNEL are considered to be protected from hazards arising in the equipment if it complies with a relevant safety standard;
- functional reliability of equipment and TELECOMMUNICATION NETWORKS;
- equipment Using a TELECOMMUNICATION NETWORK voltage in excess of the limits for a TNV CIRCUIT.
Basic safety publication
This basic safety publication is primarily intended for use by technical committees in the preparation of standards in accordance with the principles laid down in IEC Guide 104 and ISO/IEC Guide 51. It is not intended for use by manufacturers or certification bodies.
One of the responsibilities of a technical committee is, wherever applicable, to make use of basic safety publications in the preparation of its publications. The requirements, test methods or test conditions of this basic safety publication will not apply unless specifically referred to or included in the relevant publications.
Where the requirements of this standard differ from the requirements of the relevant safety standard, the requirements of the relevant safety standard take precedence.
Where this publication specifies the use of BASIC INSULATION, and other grades of insulation, or PROTECTIVE EARTHING, the detailed requirements of the relevant product safety standard apply.